Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Blackberry Pie

I was in charge of a special birthday treat for our beach weekend and one of the birthday girls requests was a blackberry pie. Done. 

 
I always struggle with making pie crusts and this crust was no exception. Although lattice pies look the most appetizing to me they also challenge me the most, which I love!  

I spent several days trying to find the right recipe for blackberry pie finally settling on this delicious recipe from Marilyn Batali (Mario's mother) featured in Food & Wine magazine.

The only changes that I made were using cornstarch instead of flour (I'd definitely use less next time). I also did an egg wash on the pie crust followed by a sprinkle of nutmeg. I think a nutmeg sprinkle really kicks fruit pies up a notch!


No comments:

Post a Comment